Monday 29 December 2008

Did you get a digital picture frame for Christmas?

If so, it might be loaded up with free spyware and trojans:

With the Christmas holidays just past and opening up your electronic presents may get you all excited, but not for a selected lot of people who got the Mercury 1.5" Digital Photo Frame from Walmart (or other stores).

Also:

some larger digital photo frames have been delivered similarly infected this year, specifically Samsung's SPF-85H 8-inch digital photo frame, sold through Amazon among other vendors, which arrived with "W32.Sality.AE worm on the installation disc for Samsung Frame Manager XP Version 1.08, which is needed for using the SPF-85H as a USB monitor." Though Amazon was honest enough to issue an alert, that alert offers no reason to think that only Amazon's stock was affected.


I guess the point of it all is that any technical gubbins can now come with malware in the install media, you can't assume that any of it is safe any more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is exactly why we need to be protected from the evils of the interwebtubenets by the likes of Andy Burnham.

Oh, the man's a hero. A hero, I tell you!

Yes, I know it might annoy some of you, but it's for your own good. Think of the children, you selfish bastards.

Anonymous said...

I did get a digital picture frame for Xmas, but I'm not really sure if it's a good one. I had my hopes on this one, but I didn't get anything like it. :(

Mine was a panasonic.. Are those anything like this?http://www.sitonsantaslap.com/?utm_source=bc