Sunday 11 January 2009

labourlist: the first couple of hours

Well, given that there was fuck all on TV and I've got a shitload of podcasts to get through, I thought I'd spend some time on labourlist.

Despite Dolly promising challenging and interesting material, I'm afraid it has all been dreadfully anodyne. If you're starting a blog, you need to grab people from the outset. A page of waffle on what a failure BoJo has been and another page of polyfilla about student loans that didn't really go anywhere, is not a promising start. It was like reading Labour party press releases.

The comments system is also really difficult for people used to the blogosphere to follow, even though Dolly is really proud of it, I think he should chuck it away. The design is also, frankly, rather crap. Most things simply didn't work, and when the basics started working I discovered that the RSS feed is broken and the comments appear to require you to write full-on HTML, rather than merely allowing it. Christ only knows what DK is going to say when he starts poking around in the guts of the site.

They've wasted their (our, probably!) money on the technology and design when they should really have just grabbed a blogger spot and focused a lot more on writing good stuff.

Sorry Dolly, I was really hopeful, but so far it's been a bit of a let down. And given the list of has-beens, never-weres and wish-they-hadn't-been-borns in your list of Hoonettes, I'm not terribly optimistic that your site is ever going to be anything other than a moderator's nightmare of battling commentors -- and that's if you're lucky! If you're not lucky, it's going slip down the plughole of blogging history without a trace.

Oh, and why are left-wing commentors such prissy, humourless dullards? To a fucking man or women, not a one of them could even raise a wry smile. Priggish cunts.

Update: DK isn't terribly impressed, either.

6 comments:

DavidNcl said...

Sad but true. Red in tooth and claw as I am I was rather hoping for a watering hole full of prey. I suspect grey, anodyne oblivion awaits.

Ming TM said...

Yawn....about as mutch fun as crabs I'm affraid

Catosays said...

What a load of crap! I'm not going to join...not even to poke fun at Dolly.

Anonymous said...

I had a quick look and wasted 5 minutes of my life.

Do you think I could make a claim for compensayshun?

Dr Evil said...

Because being a humourless, prissy dullard are all qualificatons required, plus being multiculturally aware, inclusive, pc and diversity-proud. Tosser just about sums it all up.

nought.point.zero said...

Iain Dale on CiF mentions the fact that Liberal Conspiracy is humourless, as are most (all?) other lefty blogs, especially Labour List, it seems. Why are the left so humourless? Why? Why? Why? I genuinely want to know.