Friday 9 January 2009

Your life on an SD card

Although we're still a good few years away, this sounds interesting:

The SD Association -- a global organisation founded by Panasonic, SanDisk and Toshiba that sets standards for, and promotes, Secure Digital technologies -- has announced SDXC (Secure Digital Extended Capacity) technology, which promises SD cards for devices like digital cameras, with a theoretical maximum capacity of 2TB -- that's 2,000 gigabytes of storage.

Today's maximum SDHC cards hit 32GB. But Panasonic has announced already its intentions to produce a 64GB SDXC card, and 128GB shouldn't be more than a few handfuls of months after that.

These epic new cards will also be significantly faster than existing cards. In 2009, the SDXC technology will read and write at just over 100MBps. That'll copy one MP3 album in about one second. But the current roadmap specifies speeds three times faster, at 300MBps.


That's got to be the way to go to lighten up laptops, surely? 2TB would be splendid, in fact, if they get to 128GB, that would be near enough to what I have now. Power consumption would be greatly reduced, as would weight and without the need for a "big" HDD, the laptop could either become smaller, thinner or less densely packed and more reliable.

I have to say, this sounds like a bloody marvellous idea.

7 comments:

John Pickworth said...

As someone who has entire life entrusted to a 1970's technology and their frustrating habit of buggering up - I must be Seagate's number one customer? - I can't wait for solid state (oooh showing my age there) storage media.

Bring it on...

Dungeekin said...

All that storage on a tiny SD card?

Oh, $DEITY, can you imagine the headlines?

"Personal bank details of the entire UK Population left on a 2cm square, 2mm-thick piece of plastic on train".

Urgh. You already know my feelings on data security with this lot...

D

Killer said...

visit http://killertalkingcrap.blogspot.com

Leg-iron said...

I bought one of those dinky little Linux laptops that's all solid state. All storage on SD card and USB sticks, with some internal memory I never use for anything but programs.

Great for work - it weighs nothng and has no fragile disk to worry about. It finds wireless networks too - not that I'd be doing anything like that, of course.

Good to see you back where you belong, by the way!

Anonymous said...

My Asus Eee PC has 80GB solid state memory in place of hard drives.

I love that little fucker in conjunction with my N95 8GB - 400kb/sec cheapo internet access.

JuliaM said...

"That's got to be the way to go to lighten up laptops, surely?"

Compared to what they weighed just 5 years ago, if they get any lighter, we'll have to keep a hand on the power cord to stop them floating away!

Anonymous said...

I'm showing my age, but I can remember how convenient the 3390s were when they came in.

There was a very long queue of people to get off tape and onto DASD.