Tuesday 21 July 2009

LPUK in Norwich

Charlotte Gore has another typically thought-provoking post about the future of Libertarianism in the UK:

Still, another question hovering over Norwich is the fate of LPUK’s first ever election test. What is almost certain is that LPUK won’t be returning an MP this time - sorry guys. In By-Elections there are nearly always tiny fringe parties that ‘no-one’s ever heard of,’ and it seems there’s a sort of voter blindness when it comes to any party they’ve never heard of.


Yep, I agree with that entirely: not only is it our first by-election, and the "unknown" issue is a massive mountain to climb on its own. But typically, she's right on the nail with this point:

Research done at the last general election pointed to high approval of Tory policies - until people found out the source of the policies. What this says to me is that image is still everything in politics - and that it’s going to take a lot more than blogs to break the monopoly of Social Democracy on British Politics.


Not only do we have to convince people that we are a viable political party, but we also need to convince people that there is more to life than "social democracy". The only thing that gives me hope is the number of people I speak to who actually agree with the tenets of libertarianism even if they don't consider themselves libertarian (mostly because they've never heard the word "libertarian" before!)

I think that even if the LPUK never make it to government (but I hope they will, and soon!) they have an important role to play in breaking the social democratic stranglehold on politics in the UK.

Even the much-maligned BNP isn't really all that different at its core from the current LibLabCon gang of thieves. They are just more so.

But every step we take forward, every time we can speak to a new voter, we will be in a position to make another chip or crack in the social democratic consensus. Every time a soc-dem party steals a libertarian idea and makes it more acceptable to the masses, everybody wins.

So yes, we have mountains to climb, but I really think that we will help to build a better country, one small step at a time. And at least the process has started.

10 comments:

Dick Puddlecote said...

The only thing that gives me hope is the number of people I speak to who actually agree with the tenets of libertarianism even if they don't consider themselves libertarian.

Very true. Without realising it, much of the average Joe's ranting about the world is libertarian by nature. I've found it very easy to explain to people who have never heard the word before.

Barking Spider said...

I had never considered myself to be a libertarian - I haven't been blogging for long but the more blogs that I read the more I realise that I am and have always been a libertarian at heart and I completely agree with everything DP says in the previous comment.

Lester Taylor said...

"I think that even if the LPUK never make it to government (but I hope they will, and soon!) they have an important role to play in breaking the social democratic stranglehold on politics in the UK."......people are waiting for the chance to voice their objection to the Lab/Con/Lib bollocks....I think that the Libertarian Party needs a bigger and coordinated voice across the blogs. And it certainly needs good videos as promotion.....

SteveShark said...

Excellent article, Obo.

I particularly liked this bit:

Every time a soc-dem party steals a libertarian idea and makes it more acceptable to the masses, everybody wins.

And also Barking Spider's comment which describes exactly my own progress to Libertarianism.

Although I enjoy this blog's comedy stuff, serious suits it too.

More please!

Anonymous said...

If LPUK is so libertarian why can you not join if your are a member of another party? Doesn't seem very libertarian to me.
UKIP does not require this exclusivity. I have invited the local Labour Party agent to join us at least once and the DimLib ppc and a neighbouring Tory agent...

Obnoxio The Clown said...

Why are you asking ME?

Why don't you ask the party?

Anonymous said...

Because YOU sounded as though YOU ought to know something about YOUR party -

"Not only do WE have to convince people that WE are a viable political party, but WE also need to convince people..."

Still trying to find out how many votes young Tom got. Hope it was more than the Monster Raving Loony Party - found it - 36. Sadly fewer than the MRLP's 144, but at least he was not last.

And didn't we do well? Closing the gap on the DimLibs and Labore, Greens in 5th...

Obnoxio The Clown said...

If YOU know every rule and by-law in YOUR party's constitution, then YOU are a sadder fuck than ME.

Anonymous said...

Happily I am not, I hardly know any of them.

Since YOU don't know, I have asked those nice people at LPUK...

Obnoxio The Clown said...

Good for YOU! :o)