Thursday 7 January 2010

I can't put it off any longer

Although I think Peter Hitchens has some very muddled ideas about liberty, I can hardly fault his comprehensive filleting of the Cameron Project:

So no thanks, Tim. No serious, thoughtful conservative should give his vote to the Cameron project. We have seen in this week's swervings and zig-zags on marriage a pretty good dress rehearsal of what a Cameron government would be like in practice - shifty, unprincipled and not very competent either. The Tory Party doesn't do what it says on the tin. If it were a consumer product, nobody would buy it. And I don't buy it either.


It is an excellent article and I heartily recommend you read the whole thing. As a blogger, I'm pretty fucked off by it, because it cover pretty much every base on the futility of "Modern Conservatism" and chimes very well with my own thoughts on why there is no difference between the LibLabCon cartel members. I can't even riff off it or add anything to it.

Well, OK, he didn't use the word "cunt" even once, not even to describe the buttered new potato, which is a glaring omission, but hardly merits an entire blogpost.

10 comments:

Pam Nash said...

Sre you getting old? You're starting to get sensible :(

Dr Evadne said...

Hitchens has been saying this for years. I wasn't prepared to believe it but for the last 18 months Cameron has blundered every possible opportunity to score points against Brown and screwed up big time yesterday. No one in their right mind can come out with drivel such as 'Labour have some good points'. I mis-quote here but if you nailed me to the front of a train and threatened to drive it off the cliff at Cape Wrath, I would not be able to think of one single solitary good thing about Labour or their policies. Apart form the fact that whoever comes after them can't possibly be any worse. Err... Oh and now the UK rank 25th in the list of the best countries to live, behind the Czechoslovakia and Lithuania. I expect Zimbabwe is in 10th place.

microdave said...

A while back I used to get pissed off with his constant "Useless Tories" pronouncements. Now I think he was right, all along....

Tim Almond said...

It was obvious what Cameron was going to be like. He's a PR guy where Thatcher was more like a manager.

Cameron has no sense of direction. He doesn't have a picture of what he'd like the government to look like in 5 years. His policies are almost entirely tactical and based on winning the next election. He has surrounded himself with frankly, a bunch of useless old school pals with no political guile nor intellectual depth.

Other than Gove with his school vouchers, I can't remember a bold policy from his shadow cabinet. I can't remember seeing them scalp any of their Labour opponents. And there's been plenty of open goals from this government. Politically, this has been the worst opposition since Michael Foot. Cameron is only ahead because of his sartorial charm and because Brown is so useless.

He's also entirely unprepared to be unpopular, to challenge sacred political cows. Sometimes, you have to piss some people off.

John Demetriou said...

I'm glad you've brought this to the fore. Hitchens changed my mind on the whole matter earlier this year, and I haven't looked back.

It ought to be obvious, really. The Tories are useless, and for conservatives, traitorous scum, and they serve no purpose other than to continue the social democratic project.

Fuck them, I say.

Schlumpf23 said...

I can't say that I agree with Hitchens very often but his analysis was spot on.

OldSlaughter said...

Thank you Obnoxio.

And well put.

John Pickworth said...

Hitchens nails it exactly.

We need a desk thumping hard man to get this country fixed. A bleeding heart liberal in a blue tie ain't going to get the job done.

Personally, I'm so sick of the lot of them I'm seriously hoping Labour win again... just to watch the fuckers go down with the ship instead of slinking away to a life of taxpayer funded comfort.

Clive said...

I can't say that I agree with Demetriou very often but his analysis was spot on.

Blind Pugh said...

The trouble is, they're all fucking useless. Cyclops McBroon couldn't find a policy if Blunkett's seeing dog shat one in his lap. Cameroon keeps dropping the ball like a one-legged girlie playing lacrosse. And the LibDem cunt whose name I can never remember is invisible and silent. So then you have the "fringe" parties, populated by loons who couldn't run a kiddie's tea party never mind a nation.

We're fucked and no two ways about it.