Monday 28 July 2008

Handbags at dawn

Ooh!


The chef Marcus Wareing [Editor: who he?] has launched a bitter attack on his former mentor Gordon Ramsay, saying he could not care less if the two never speak again.

The pair, once so close that Ramsay was best man at Michelin-starred Wareing’s wedding, are now fierce rivals.

Wareing, 38, has thrown down the gauntlet by dismissing Ramsay as a celebrity chef and declaring that he is out to seize his crown as Britain’s most celebrated culinary talent.

“If I never speak to that guy again in my life it wouldn’t bother me one bit. Wouldn’t give a ----.

"I admire Gordon. I learned a lot from him. But would I lose any sleep knowing he wouldn’t be there? No chance,” Wareing said.

Ramsay is the only London chef to hold three Michelin stars but Wareing is determined to match him.

“Gordon loves being the only three-star here. He’s milked it for years,” Wareing said.

“Whatever happens between me and Gordon, if he wants me never to get to the status I want then my advice to him is: put a gun to my head, shoot me, put me in a box and bury me because if you don’t, I’ll come back and come back.


Oh, the drama! Photobucket

"I’ll never give up until I get to where I want to go.”

Wareing is currently head chef at Petrus, the restaurant at the Berkeley Hotel in Knightsbridge which won its second Michelin star last year.

It is currently run by Gordon Ramsay Holdings but the hotel recently announced that it will not renew Ramsay’s contract in September and will hand the lease to Wareing instead.

In a frank interview with Waitrose Food Illustrated, Wareing explained why he is breaking away from Ramsay.

“Very simple. When you wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and all you see is a man who is constrained, confined and trapped, then you’ve got to change.” He added:

“There was a time when my mentor was the person to keep happy. Now I’ve realised there’s more to life than a mentor. I want to be my own man.”

He dismissed Ramsay, star of Channel 4 show The F Word, as a “celebrity” chef who is “not really part of the industry now” but spoke fondly of the days when they were the best of friends.

“Gordon’s an important part of my life, although half of me thinks he’s a sad b------ and the other half still adores him.”


So which is it, you jumped-up, overweening drama queen of a Z-list nonentity?

And really, what the cunting fuck is the Telegraph doing printing this utter fucking bilge?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Celeb chef restaurants are a giant waste of money. I've tried 3 of them and eaten better at local bistros at considerably lower prices.